Pages

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Obedience

photo credit: Bass


For the past two weeks we have been working on memorizing and living the Christlike attribute, Obedience, found in Preach My Gospel (PMG). We've "likened" it unto our family and this is how we recite it in our home:


"As a member of my family, I am expected to keep the commandments willingly, to obey family rules and to follow the counsel of my parents. Obedience is the first law of heaven. It is an act of faith. I may sometimes be required to do things I do not completely understand. As I obey, I increase in faith, knowledge, wisdom, testimony, protection and freedom. I will strive to be obedient to the Lord, the living prophet and my parents."

Here's is what each of us are learning and/or doing about obedience:

Middle C: I memorized the first paragrah and the half of the second of obedience in PMG. I learned that you should be obedient to the Lord and to your parents. Obedience it is the first law of heaven and it is an act of faith. And it is kind of hard to be obedient to my parents but then after a while I am obedient to them.

Allegro: I'm learning about being nice to my brothers and sister and obeying my mom and dad. Signed, Allegro

Bass: I'm going to write about "As I obey I increase in testimony." To me that means that I should go to church, read the scriptures, pray etc. When I do that I can increase in testimony and that will make me the missionary I want to be. For me it is a little hard to be obedient to my mom and dad. There are sometimes when I don't want to do things when my mom and dad ask me to, but I will try my hardest to be obedient.

B Sharp: I am obedient to my mom and dad. I like to be obedient except when I don't want to be obedient. by B Sharp

Treble: I'm going to write about "As I obey, I increase in knowledge." I know that when I obey my knowledge can grow. Now that I am in school, I know that when I obey my parents my knowledge can grow stronger. I know that when your obedient to everyone, your knowledge and grow and you can be smarter than a 5th grader.

Staccato: It was me who chose obedience for our family to memorize!! It was so I could remember to be obedient. It is hard for me to be obedient. I like to tease and make faces so one time, I had to write "Obedience is the first law of heaven. It is an act of faith." SEVEN WHOLE TIMES times because I wouldn't stop bugging Allegro.

Fermata: I'm going to write aboout "As I obey I increase in faith." You can't do anything without faith. With the Lord or with faith nothing is impossible. We need to be obedient to our parents because it is one of the commandments.

Mezzo: In our family we have a family motto thing about obedience. We recite what MeeMom wrote at the beginning of the post. It's not very fun to recite this but it helps us to be obedient to our parents. It's hard for me to be obedient to my parents. This weekend I had to write up a contract about using my IPod. It's okay, I guess. I'd really just would like to use the computer and my IPod for as long as I want - like when all my downloads are finished, and other stuff, but my parents think I'm on the computer too long.

MeeMom: Oh, how I remember being 14 and thinking that obedience was such a hard, difficult principle of the gospel. I remember thinking that my parents were the meanest parents in the whole entire world for having family rules. Now I'm a MeeMom and I am realizing how crucial good, firm family rules are in helping each of learn and live obedience. I appreciate Mezzo's honesty because we all want to think that the sky is the limit when it comes to our choices.  I am learning that disobedience only takes us down a road of captivity while obedience increases our ability to be free. That is SO not what the adversary would have us believe.

DooDad: If there is one thing I have learned about obedience over the years it would be this; obedience is not about doing or not doing something because I am "supposed" to, it is about doing or not doing something because I know God is wiser than I.

No comments:

Post a Comment